A podcast for my appearance on the AM900 Scott Thompson show January 15 is available here.
The show title was “Smart meters, a failed experiment in energy conservation?”. The discussion kicked off with Scott asking about the Environmental Commissioner’s proposal to increase on-peak power rates.
The main subjects covered were:
- The same folks who promised that wind power would replace coal power now say conservation saving you money.
- Ontario power system has a truth problem. Getting a straight answer on what is happening is sometime impossible.
- A hidden carbon tax is already tacked onto your power bill.
- The Smart Meter program is just one example of how due diligence is out of fashion inside Ontario’s power system.
- Information you are not allowed to see include payments to generators for non-production.
- Wind/solar often fail to deliver when you need power most. For example, Scott Luft’s analysis shows that recently wind and solar delivered just 3% productivity during peak demand.
“The same people who have been ruining our power system are today signing up more contracts for junk generation.”